Two Research Associates (f/m) (part time 60%)
for the project
“Investigating the systemic impacts of the global energy transition (ISIGET)”.
Ref. No.: ISIGET-2018-01
About the project:
The ISIGET project explores the systemic implications of the global low carbon energy transition, focusing on the developing nations and the Global South (for details see https://www.iass-potsdam.de/en/news/low-carbon-transition-developing-countries-new-project-will-generate-proposals-promote-energy). The project is led by Professor Andreas Goldthau of Royal Holloway College, University of London, and aims at analyzing the distributional effects of decarbonizing the energy system using, among other, scenario techniques. The project is funded through the Franco-German fellowship program to support research in the areas of climate, energy and Earth systems science as part of the French initiative “Make our planet great again” (MOPGA-GRI). Special emphasis will be put on cooperating with French partners throughout the project.
The Research Associate will:
- Conduct empirically-driven and interdisciplinary research in the realm of the global energy transition, decarbonization, with focus on development contexts
- Contribute to joint publications in peer-reviewed journals and other outlets
- Communicate the results to decision makers in the policy world, business and public bodies, and in social media
- Co-represent the project at academic conferences and among project partners
- Take an active role in preparing and implementing annual project workshops and symposia
- Cooperate and liaise with practice partners, civil society organizations and relevant actors in Germany, France and Europe, and in select countries of the Global South
- Assist in project coordination and documentation
We seek candidates with:
- Graduate degrees (MA, MSc or equivalent) in political science / International Relations (ideally with a focus on International Political Economy); economics; (economic) geography; environmental and sustainability studies; or related fields
- A good knowledge in the area of the global energy transition
- An interest in empirical and problem-focused research
- Distinct skills in qualitative and / or quantitative method
- Experience in policy processes and policy analysis
- An ability to work independently, creatively and effectively
- A commitment to team work
- A very good command of English; French and German language skills are a plus
- Readiness to travel, notably for field research in the Global South.
What we offer:
- The opportunity to work on a project that’s both intellectually stimulating and highly relevant in policy terms
- An interdisciplinary team at one of Germany’s most renown organizations for sustainability studies
- Excellent contacts to national, European, and international research institutions, organizations and decision markers
- An attractive, diverse and international work environment
- Remuneration in accordance with the German salary banding scheme
Candidates for both positions (part time, 60%, 23,4 h/w) are encouraged to use the project as a research platform for pursuing individual PhD projects. Both positions are to be filled by 01 January and are initially foreseen until 30 July 2020 with the possibility of extension to a total of four years (the full project lifetime). The place of work is Potsdam, Germany. IASS seeks to increase the number of women in those areas where they are underrepresented and therefore explicitly encourages women to apply. We encourage applicants of diverse backgrounds. Applications of disabled persons with equal qualifications will be regarded favorably.
How to apply:
Applications, including a motivation letter (indicating a geographical area of interest), a CV, copies of certificates, a writing sample (e.g. essay or MA / MSc dissertation), and if applicable a short description of a PhD project, should be sent as one PDF file (max 5MB) and by e-mail only to Prof. Dr. Andreas Goldthau (for the attention of Christina Stobernack: Christina.Stobernack@iass-potsdam.de). Please refer to the reference number given above. Inquiries should be directed to the same email address. The deadline for applications is: 17.10.2018. Interviews are scheduled for late October / early November 2018.